The History of Cook’s Delight Soup Bases
1930’s – Dr. Williams (a dentist), Mr. West (affiliated with West Coffee Company) and Webster W. Witt (former proprietor of the Spaulding Hotel in Michigan City, IN) bought the West Coffee Company in Chicago and changed the name of the company to Williams, West and Witt’s Products Company. They enlisted the help of a Palmer House Chef, Ernest E. Amiet in developing their first line of soup bases/bouillon formulations. Chef Amiet is the featured chef on the original Cook’s Delight labels. They provided military C Rations to the US Army during World War II. The company was located at 125 West Ohio Street near the historic Water Tower in the Magnificent Mile.
1946 – Moved into the new company headquarters in Chicago at 3289 North California Avenue.
1948 – Williams, West and Witt’s incorporates and the first shareholders are Webster W. Witt and Claribel C. Witt, Adolph Hutter, Elwood Carr and Richard McKenna. Williams, West and Witt’s is assigned the USDA Establishment number 125.
1958 – WWII was over and WWW lost its biggest customer. They relocated to 2596 West Ninth Avenue, Gary, IN and began rebuilding concentrating their efforts on helping chefs and product developers achieve maximum flavor and consistency while reducing labor. The company changed hands to relatives Elwood and Donald Carr. They were nephews of Claribel C. Williams (wife of Dr. Williams and formerly Claribel C. Witt).
1981 – Williams, West and Witt’s Products Company was purchased by Victor and Dorothy Palmer of Michigan City, IN from Donald and Elwood Carr. Gary Bateman was the first employee they hired. He joined John Stamos and Anna Markovich, who came with the company. The company became affectionately known as “The Soup Plant”. With little knowledge of the food business, inflation high, truck rates high and ingredient costs sky high, they began their lives as entrepreneurs. They were lucky they survived (according to Dorothy Palmer). They not only survived, they thrived.
1983 – With the help of their high school age son, Dan, WWW was moved to its new headquarters at 212 Cook Street, Michigan City, IN, site of the former Dana Bowling Pin factory.
1990 – Georgeann Palmer Quealy joined her parents at WWW.
1992 – Aidan Quealy is born
1994 – Kiera Quealy is born
1995 – Brian Quealy, husband of Georgeann, joined the company.
November 23, 2004 – Williams, West and Witt’s Products Company obtains Organic Certification from Quality Assurance International.
2005 – Georgeann and Brian purchased Williams, West and Witt’s Products Company.
December 11, 2008 – The Michigan City Economic Development Corporation honors WWW with an award for 25 Years of Economic Excellence in Michigan City.
2009 – Williams, West and Witt’s Products Company began doing business as d/b/a Integrative Flavors, though they kept their formal name Williams, West and Witt’s Products Company for posterity.
2010 – Integrative Flavors moved to its new state of the art food manufacturing facility at 3501 W. Dunes Highway, Michigan City, IN, quadrupling the size of its previous home. The new plant was designed to incorporate as many energy-efficient and green initiatives as possible.
December 2, 2010 – The Michigan City Economic Development Corporation awarded Integrative Flavors the 2010 Business Investment Award recognizing them for their significant manufacturing investments in the Michigan City area.
2011 – Integrative Flavors is certified a Woman-Owned Business (WBE) by the State of Indiana.
April 16, 2011 – Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes Integrative Flavors with a Legacy Business Award.
July, 2011 – The Celiac Spruce Association recognizes Integrative Flavors as a company producing products adhering to “Free of WBRO” practices in Product, Processing and Packaging.