Beef Stew with Farro Recipe
Winter is the perfect time for soups and stews. Farro, an ancient grain, adds a wonderful nuttiness and great, chewy texture to this sumptuous beef stew. Cook’s Delight® Beef Soup Base and Vegetable Soup Base accentuate the flavor of this recipe. Vegetable soup base is available on Amazon in individual quantities.
This Recipe Is:
|10||Dinner||Low Gluten||Cook’s Delight® Organic Beef Stock BF-912 & Cook’s Delight® Simply Vegan Vegetable Base VG-837|
- 5 lbs Chuck Roast - cubed
- 2 fennel bulbs - thinly sliced
- 3 large turnips - peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- 4-5 large carrots - chopped
- 2 sweet onions - medium dice
- 1-1/2 cup peas
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- Fresh sage rosemary and thyme - tied in a bunch
- 1-1/2 quarts Cook’s Delight® Organic Beef Stock (mix 7.5 tsp Cook’s Delight® Organic Beef soup base with 1 1/2 quarts boiling water)
- 1 quart Cook’s Delight® Organic Vegetable Stock (mix 3 tsp Cook’s Delight® Organic Vegetable soup base with 1 quart boiling water)
- 1 750 ml bottle of red wine
- 1 cup Farro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Cook’s Delight® Organic Beef Flavor Base
Cook’s Delight® Organic Vegetable Soup Base
Step by Step Instructions
1. In a large dutch oven, sauté the fennel and onion in olive oil until translucent.
2. Season the cubed beef with salt and pepper and coat in the flour and sugar. Sear in batches in a hot skillet and transfer to the dutch oven.
3. Prepare the beef stock with boiling water and use to deglaze the skillet before adding to the dutch oven.
4. Add the turnips, carrots, wine, tomato paste and herb bunch and bake for 1-1/2 hours at 350 degrees in a preheated oven.
5. Add the peas and parsley 15 minutes before finished.
6. In a separate pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil and cook the farro until tender. The adds another layer of flavor and preserves the beef broth that would otherwise be absorbed by the grain.
7. Add the farro to the pot and serve!