Mexican Turkey Soup Recipe
Do you have leftover turkey meat from the holidays? Are you looking for some variety in your menu? Do you want to add ethnic recipes to your portfolio? If you answered yes to any of these, try this recipe for flavorful Mexican Turkey Soup. Make the recipe using your favorite Cook’s Delight® Soup Base to tweak the background flavor as desired.
This Recipe Is:
|6||Lunch||Gluten Free if flour is substituted||Cook’s Delight® Simply Turkey Base OM-852|
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot - peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk - chopped
- 1 cup onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 tsp Cook’s Delight® Simply Turkey Base
- 3 cups water
- 1 small can diced green chilies - drained
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups turkey meat - shredded
- 3/4 cup corn - fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1 cup Monterey Jack or Mexican 4-cheese combination cheese - grated
Cook’s Delight® Simply Turkey Soup Base OM-852
Cook’s Delight® Chicken Base made with Organic Meat and Broth
Step by Step Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrot, celery, onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add Cook’s Delight® Simply Turkey Base and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. Add chilies.
3. In a bowl, whisk together milk, flour, chili powder and cumin.
4. Increase heat to high and whisk milk mixture into soup. Stir until thick and bubbly, about five minutes. Reduce heat to low.
5. Add turkey, corn, cilantro and cheese; stir until cheese is melted and soup is hot, 5 to 10 minutes.