Spanish Rice Recipe
There are so many wonderful ways to pair rice with your favorite Cook’s Delight® soup base. Rice is a versatile grain that can really accentuate the theme of any dish. Try modifying the classic pilaf using butternut squash, apple and cranberries in place of the usual mirepoix and use Cook’s Delight® Organic Vegetable Soup Base to add depth of flavor to aromatic basmati or jasmine rice. Drawing inspiration from stuffed grape leaves, dill, mint and lemon juice added generously to long grain rice and sweet onion with Cook’s Delight® Chicken Stock is a nice side for Mediterranean dishes. Here is a classic: Spanish Rice. Spanish rice is a must when serving Mexican dishes but often is just a disappointing ball of orange rice. Try this version to wow your guests! You can kick this up a notch by using whole cumin seed, toasting them in a dry pan until they are fragrant, taking on a bit of color and then grinding them in a mortar and pestle after they cool. Vegetable and chicken soup bases are available on Amazon in individual quantities.
This Recipe Is:
|4||Dinner||Gluten Free||Cook’s Delight® Organic Chicken Soup Base CH-1004 or Organic Vegetable Soup Base VG-939|
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 cups Cook’s Delight® Organic Chicken or Vegan Vegetable Stock (combine 2-1/4 tsp Cook’s Delight® Organic Vegetable Soup Base or Organic Chicken Soup Base with 3 cups of boiling water)
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup sweet onion - finely diced
- 1 cup tomato strips - drained
- 1-1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
Cook’s Delight® Chicken Base made with Organic Meat and Broth
Cook’s Delight® Organic Vegetable Soup Base
Step by Step Instructions
1. Bring Cook’s Delight® Organic Chicken or Vegan Vegetable stock to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven or a cast iron casserole with a heavy lid over medium flame. Add olive oil and then rice and cumin and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, until rice takes on a golden color and onion begins to turn translucent.
4. Add tomato and tomato paste, stir.
5. Pour stock over rice and stir, covering with the lid immediately and reducing to low heat for 15-18 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
6. Mix in Cilantro and serve!