Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
Delicious blend of vegetable flavors combined with ham soup stock made from Cook’s Delight® Ham Soup Base. Great way to repurpose a ham bone after you enjoy a holiday meal!
This Recipe Is:
|8-10||Dinner||Gluten Free||Cook’s Delight® Simply Ham Soup Base OM-844|
- 2 cups corn kernels - pan roasted
- 2 1/2 cups green split peas
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 carrots - sliced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 large potato - diced
- 2 tsp Cook’s Delight® Ham Soup Base
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 ham bone with some meat
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp celery seed
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook’s Delight® Simply Ham Soup Base OM-844
Cook’s Delight® Low Sodium Supreme Ham Soup Base
Step by Step Instructions
1. Put split peas into a pot and cover with 2 quarts of water.
2. Soak overnight.
1. -Or- bring to a boil & simmer for 2 minutes, remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour.
2. Slice bacon into 1/2″ strips. In a stock pot, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon while leaving bacon fat in the pan.
3. Add onion, carrots and red bell pepper to the bacon fat in the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until onion is soft. Return the bacon to the pan and add 2 1/2 quarts of water and Cook’s Delight® Ham Soup Base to the pan.
4. Drain water from soaking split peas. Add peas to the stock pot mixture.
5. Add thyme, marjoram, bay leaves, celery seed, potato and ham bone with the meat. Bring to a boil and then lower heat. Simmer for an hour.
6. Remove ham bone and bay leaves. Reserve liquid. Put remaining ingredients in food processor until smooth.
7. Cut away any meat off the bone. Return liquid, meat and blended ingredients to the stock pot and heat soup without boiling.
8. Season with freshly ground pepper.