Split Pea Soup Recipe
Use your leftover ham and ham bone with this nice wintry soup. Split pea soup is a real comfort food. Use Cook’s Delight® Chicken Soup Base or Ham Soup Base to make the stock. Chicken soup base is available on Amazon in individual quantities.
This Recipe Is:
|8||Lunch||Gluten Free sans croutons||Cook’s Delight® Low Sodium Simply Chicken Base CH-809|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 medium leeks (white and pale-green parts only) - chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - chopped
- 2 tsp Cook’s Delight® Chicken Base
- pepper (ground) - to taste
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes - unpeeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped leftover ham
- 1 ham bone
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups green split peas
- croutons (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
Cook’s Delight® Low Sodium Simply Chicken Soup Base CH-809
Cook’s Delight® Simply Ham Soup Base OM-844
Step by Step Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, leeks, celery, and garlic; season with pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, approximately 10-12 minutes.
2. Add potatoes and ham.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are just softened, 8-10 minutes.
4. Add ham bone, thyme springs, bay leaves, split peas, Cook’s Delight® Chicken Base.
5. Add water to cover.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until peas are very soft and falling apart, approximately 1 1/2-2 hours.
7. Remove ham bone. Cut off extra ham meat and add to soup.
8. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves from soup.
9. Serve soup with sour cream and croutons, if desired.